Diakonia Training Institute in collaboration with E4Impact has introduced a new hands-on course targeting budding and established entrepreneurs. The course is meant to
ABOUT THE PROGRAMME
The certificate programme in youth entrepreneurship is an initiative of Diakonia Training Institute and E4Impact Foundation. There is a need to create jobs and improve income levels through entrepreneurship as employment opportunities have become limited over the years and the negative effects of this have mostly affected the youth. Therefore, the initiative is to implement an entrepreneurship programme that targets the youth with the aim of enhancing their business skills to give them a better chance of surviving in these harsh economic times. The programme focuses on strong practical business components and units which pay attention to current real world economic scenarios with the aim of equipping the learners with competent skills to maneuver the business world.
E4Impact is an initiative launched in 2010 by ALTIS – Graduate School of Business and Society of Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, with the objective of supporting the start-up and growth of new businesses in Africa. In 2015, E4Impact became a Foundation thanks to the support of some leading Italian companies. E4Impact takes part in multilateral projects, working with international partners to design and implement customized training and consulting programs for different actors. Through its programs and projects, E4Impact has trained over 6,000 entrepreneurs.
The programme consists of 5 main units which ensure that the learners gain strong business skills which are both practical and academically sound.
BUSINESS IDEA COMPETITION
Organized prior to the Initial Boot Camp. Entrepreneurs show and do presentations on the potential and viability of their Business Idea.
UNIT 1: BUSINESS MODEL DEVELOPMENT
In this unit, entrepreneurs are taken through the soundness of their business model and whether it has the potential to generate profits through its sources of revenue. The business model canvas is a highlight of this unit, and each student will get an opportunity to showcase their canvas.
UNIT 2: MARKETING AND DIGITAL PROMOTION
The entrepreneurs will be guided on how to create effective marketing campaigns with the aim of capturing their target market. Modern digital marketing skills will also be taught, and the entrepreneurs can immediately start using the skills learned to boost their businesses online.
UNIT 3: FINANCIAL MODELLING
Every business needs a viable financial plan to survive the tough economic climate. The entrepreneurs will be introduced to various financial tools and practices that successful business use to get ahead.
UNIT 4: BUSINESS PLANNING AND INVESTOR READINESS
Towards the end of the programme, the learners will be taken through a business planning workshop which will prepare them to pitch in front of potential investors.
- Language of Instruction: English and Swahili
- Period: 6 Months
- Award: Certificate of Participation
- Training formula: Blended- In class training and Coaching sessions
- Acquire a strong command of their business models, innovation, and creativity in business.
- Build innovative business models for existing business units.
- Launch new business units.
- E4Impact expert business trainers
- Expert sector mentors and coaches for one-on-one mentorship and coaching
- Early-Stage sector Investors and Business Angels for the final pitching event
- Approximately 132 hours of commitment, to graduate from the training program. – Training: about 24 hours per unit.
- 4 Saturdays of 6 hours each (last Saturday is the pitching session), 2 coaching sessions per unit of 2 hours each (total 4 hours)
- The training sessions will be run at Shalom House, Ngong rd – Nairobi
- Business Assignments: 8hrs per unit.
- Milestone based assignments
- Business Plan development for the final pitch: 24 hrs.
- Weekend sessions will revolve around
- Entrepreneur projects/needs
- Group work
- Plenary discussion
- The programme will conclude with a formal pitch of the innovative business models by participants to early-stage investors
UNIT 1. BUSINESS MODEL DEVELOPMENT
- Creativity & Innovation
- Business Model Design
- 11 pillars of the Business Model Canvas
Business coaching: Business Processes
- Introduction to Business Processes excellence
- Business Processes Governance
- Business Processes Improvements
UNIT 2. MARKETING AND DIGITAL PROMOTION
- Seeking competitive advantage for the new business
- Customer segmentation
- Innovative marketing solutions for the new business
- Marketing plan in relation to company business portfolio
Business coaching: Impact Measurement
- SDGs and Impact measurement
- Stakeholder mapping
- Impact measurement design- quantification and communication of impact
UNIT 3. FINANCIAL MODELLING
- Break-even analysis
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Managerial accounting (cost analysis…)
- Developing a Profit & Loss for the new business
- Investments and financial needs
Business coaching: Team Management and Legal Compliance
- Understanding the company organization structure and legal forms
- IP and protection of intellectual property
- Organizational structures for innovation
- HR management in the ventures
- Leadership styles inside the corporation
- Team composition and management
UNIT 4. BUSINESS PLANNING AND INVESTOR READINESS
- Business plan workshops
- Pitch Simulation
- Communication skills
- How to Pitch
- Judged Exhibition event
- Pitch to:
- Early-stage Investors and Business Angels
- if useful, some potential investors
- Evaluation by top managers and professors
- Graduation ceremony
- Awarding of the most improved enterprises.
- Awarding of the best exhibitor.
- Awarding of the certificates of participation in the training program.
The cost per student for the entire course is KSh 50,000. Partial scholarships available for deserving participants.
Send us a message via our contact page to signup for the class, or visit our main campus in Shalom House, St. Daniel Comboni Rd. off Ngong Road. You can also call +254 740 211 672 for more details